Monday 23 November 2009

Psychiatry and Buddhism

I'm looking forward to going to see mister psychiatrist tomorrow.

But I don't like the word "psychiatrist". It sounds so serious. Not like a psychologist or a therapist, which sound softer. I've always associated psychiatrists with big hairy illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, anorexia, and psychologists or therapists with anxiety and depression, i.e. things that are perhaps more manageable and that are more common. I don't think my preconceptions are founded in any kind of reality or truth though. I know people with big hairy illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder who frequented therapists, and I know of people who went through a patch of depression and who went to see a shrink.

Anyway - the feeling I have at the moment is that it'll be a bit like going to the hairdressers, i.e. you pay someone money so that they ask you questions about yourself for an hour. The only thing is with the hairdressers at least you come out looking better.

No - I'm kidding. I think this psychiatric work I'm going to embark on may constitute an important part of my journey as a Buddhist, and above all as a person. I see many incredible similarities between psychology and Buddhism. This is something I'd like to write more about in the future.

A friend of mine in Paris sent me a message a few days ago saying "I think you're right to look for some kind of healing by following a spiritual path." My response was one of surprise, as I always thought the spiritual path was none other than healing itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment