Monday 2 November 2009

Today's meditation

...was very pleasant.

I started off doing a body-scan / relaxation thing, then spent a while (read: probably about five minutes, though I wasn't timing it) asking myself how I felt, being aware of my mood and the physical sensations in my body. I've got a stinking cold, PMT and I'm coming off anti-depressants at the moment, but despite all that, my mood wasn't too grim at all...! Then I did a longer mindfulness of breathing meditation.

It's strange - when I meditate, all the ruminations of my thinking mind seem to disappear, immediately. It's like I fully give myself the chance to chill out a bit, and my mind goes "yes please! phew!" It's only afterwards, when I get up and stretch my legs, and go about my daily life, that thoughts and anxieties and ruminations come back with a vengeance.

It is also curious how on some days, I'm in a terrible mood but my meditation turns out to be great, and on other days, I'm feeling cheerful but meditation seems to bring out the crap that was lying dormant.

Today, though, I think the meditation had a positive effect on the rest of the day. Anxiety was at a reasonably low level, I felt more "present" and also more relaxed and confident in my interactions with people.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment